Depression describes a range of conditions associated with overwhelming sadness, hopelessness, lethargy and increased risk of physical illnesses.
More than just a low mood, depression can be debilitating and is surprisingly common. It has been estimated that at least one in five people will experience depression in their lifetime.
If you suspect you are suffering from depression, we can help. Call us now on +61-2-6639 8888 for a private chat.
There are various types of depression and therefore corresponding treatments available:
Common symptoms associated with depression
If you suffer from any of the following, you may have symptoms of depression:
- Persistent low mood;
- Social withdrawal;
- Withdrawal from work and study;
- Irritability and frustration;
- Sensitivity to criticism;
- Insomnia and sleep disturbances;
- Loss of interest in once pleasurable activities;
- Slowing down of thoughts and actions;
- Increased somatic complains – fatigue, pain etc;
- Being reckless or taking unnecessary risks (e.g. driving fast or dangerously); and
- Increasing drug and alcohol use.
As depression can worsen if left untreated, it is important for the condition to be properly assessed. Generally professional treatment is recommended if a depressive condition is severe, chronic, associated with self-harm, or has failed to respond to initial treatment.
At The Sanctuary Byron Bay, we treat depression in an integrated, holistic manner involving input from doctors, psychiatrists, psychotherapists, naturopaths and complementary health practitioners. Your treatment is uniquely customised to your needs and we will work collaboratively with any of your existing treating health professionals to ensure continuity of care.
Importantly, all the treatment elements in your program are co-ordinated and paced to your changing needs.
While medical supervision is undoubtedly required, we also advocate the use of natural therapies, nutrition, exercise and healthy self-care. Strong evidence is already accumulating proving that regular exercise can be extremely beneficial, as can the use of complementary therapies. Depression also responds well to naturopathic intervention.
Some of the central pillars of our depression treatment plan include:
- A focus on meaning - we understand that depression is often a response to a lack of meaning or a lack of fulfilment; feeling that your life is just putting one foot in front of the other but not finding any joy, passion or spark. Through intensive psychotherapy and activity based therapies, we aim to bring back hope and a sense of joy to your life.
- A concerted focus on diet - to make serotonin and uplifting neurotransmitters, a good diet is essential. Our challenge is to introduce you to food that is delicious and to your tastes, but that are also high in brain-building elements such as Omega 3, 6 and 9. In addition to a healthy diet, supplements such as fish oils, HTP and Proxan are known to promote and support healthy neurochemical balance and efficient, healthy brain function.
- A focus on exercise - getting your body moving, flowing and firmly anchored in the moment helps you regain perspective. Exercise helps promote the production of 'feel-good' hormones such as endorphins and in combination with therapy, is considered to be one of the most effective ways to tackle depression.
“….I found it very difficult to find residential treatment for depression in a setting in which I could be comfortable and where confidentiality could be guaranteed. Top marks to the Sanctuary for providing depression treatment in a luxury setting where the needs of corporate executives can be understood and met. I was able to monitor my business even as I surrendered to the care of the program and my dignity was always respected. …..”SP 60 years old